Accessing user attributes during registration

I cannot figure out how to access user attributes during registration when implementing addUser method of the UserRegistrationProvider.

My use case is that I want to save the first_name, last_name attribute in the external storage provider. Any help would be appreciated

1 Like

Looking for the same functionality, Did you get anything?

I have the same question. Could not find anything in the documentation on this topic.

Here is a related issue where a workaround is described: https://issues.redhat.com/browse/KEYCLOAK-4323

The way to resolve this issue currently is to not persist changes to the user in the addUser method, but rather when the transaction is committed. If your store doesn’t support transactions you can achieve this through a transaction wrapper.

If login is via an Identity Provider, another possibility could be to extend that provider, override AbstractIdentityProvider#importNewUser and/or updateBrokeredUser, and call your User Storage Provider something like this:

public void importNewUser(final KeycloakSession session, final RealmModel realm, final UserModel user, final BrokeredIdentityContext context) {
    if(context.getEmail() != null) user.setEmail(context.getEmail());
    if(context.getFirstName() != null) user.setFirstName(context.getFirstName());
    if(context.getLastName() != null) user.setLastName(context.getLastName());

final List<UserUpdateProvider> storageProviders = UserStorageManager.getEnabledStorageProviders(session, realm, UserUpdateProvider.class);
    for (final UserUpdateProvider updateProvider : storageProviders) {
        updateProvider.updateUser(realm, user);
    }
}

UserUpdateProvider is an interface declaring updateUser(realm, user), implemented by your User Storage Provider.

Note however that overriding AbstractIdentityProvider requires using a private SPI which will give the following warning:

WARN [org.jboss.as.dependency.private] (MSC service thread 1-6) WFLYSRV0018: Deployment “deployment.my-keycloak-provider.jar” is using a private module (“org.keycloak.keycloak-server-spi-private”) which may be changed or removed in future versions without notice.

If you want to try it that way, this might be helpful: https://stackoverflow.com/a/52866029/709426