Additional paramters to Authentication Request

In my scenario, when an application (Client-01, Client-02, Client-03) have to autenticate a user, keycloak shows the login page. In the keycloak login page the user can (in addition to authenticating directly with keycloak) choose an external idp between IDP-A and IDP-B. Here a representation:
scenario

The two external IDP have these constraints:

• IDP-A wants an additional parameter called “acr_values” in the authentication request that can take one or more of these values ​​"level_1", “level_2”, “level_3”

• In a similar way IDP-B expect in the saml request the same information about “level_1”, “level_2”, “level_3 in an attribute like this:
    <samlp:RequestedAuthnContext Comparison=“exact”>
    <saml:AuthnContextClassRef xmlns:saml=“urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion”>level_1</saml:AuthnContextClassRef>
    </samlp:RequestedAuthnContext>

Keycloak offers the possibility of defining mappers to manage the conversion of attributes from IDP-A and IDP-B, but it is a feature that concerns the “return path”, ie the mapping of attributes in the response from external IDPs to client through brokering.

What I need for is a mapping in the other direction, a mapping of the parameters in client requests, in particular this is what I would like to get:

1. oidc to oidc brokering . Client-01 adds to the Authentication Request the parameter “acl_values = level_1” (for example), if the user chooses IDP-A this parameter must be propagated as it is in the Authentication Request to IDP-A

2. oidc to saml2 brokering. Client-01 adds to the Authentication Request the parameter “acl_values = level_1” (for example), if the user chooses IDP-B this parameter must be propagated in samlp: AuthnRequest to IDP-B in the form :
    <saml:AuthnContextClassRef xmlns:saml=“urn:oasis:names:tc:SAML:2.0:assertion”>level_1</saml:AuthnContextClassRef>

3. saml2 to saml2 brokering. Client-02 adds the parameter to samlp: AuthnRequest:
    If the user chooses IDP-B, the parameter must be propagated as it is in samlp: AuthnRequest to IDP-B

4. saml2 to oidc brokering. Client-02 adds the parameter to samlp: AuthnRequest:
    If the user chooses IDP-A, the parameter must be converted to a parameter “acl_values =level_1” in the Authentication Request oidc to IDP-A

In Client-03, for test purpose, I wrote the code that makes the authentication call via oidc and then “manually” added the “acl_values ​=level_1” parameter in the Authentication Request. This is a piece of my code:

StringBuilder stringBuilder = new StringBuilder();
stringBuilder.append(this.authorizationUri);
stringBuilder.append(addFirstParam(“client_id”,client_id));
stringBuilder.append(addParam(“response_type”, “code”));
stringBuilder.append(addParam(“acr_values”,“level_1”));
stringBuilder.append(addParam(“redirect_uri”,redirect_uri));
stringBuilder.append(addParam(“scope”, “openid”));
loginUrl = stringBuilder.toString();
response.sendRedirect(loginUrl);

My first doubt is how to add these additional and arbitrary parameters through the adapters? I want do the same of this code but with the tomcat adapter or other.

From my tests the “acl_values ​​= level_1” parameter added in the client-03 request is propagated as is in the request to IDP-A by KEYCLOAK. This is what I want for brokering oidc to oidc.

I have not yet tested a similar scenario for brokering saml to saml, but I suppose it works similarly by propagating the attribute as it is.

My second doubt: in the case of brokering oidc to saml or brokering saml to oidc, how can I map “acl_values ​​= level_1” in its analogue in the request saml and vice versa?

1 Like

I’m interested to know how you approached this. Did you create a custom SPI? If so I’d be interested in seeing the implementation.

It’s very close to my issue as well, how to pass acr_values to the client in the authorise request. Did you manage to solve this one?

Ref this: How to set ACR values with external identity provider

I never solve it. I was doing a study/research on various sso softwares like keycloak. In this test scenario keycloak didn’t work…

Thanks for reply. Annoying, I like Keycloak, but things like these are blockers.