Book, course or tutorial?

Are there any books, courses or tutorials that teach Keycloak? The documentation is very comprehensive, but it’s hard to learn by just reading the meaning of a bunch of options.

Most tutorials, books and videos don’t work since they were written for older versions.

I was about to buy that book, AFAIK, it is for a super old version of Keycloak. That’s why I said most resources are obsolete.

Are there any other books? I’m on Keycloak 20.0.5

A new edition of this book is currently in the making…
But basically, IMHO the book is just the printed documentation.

1 Like

Agree with @dasniko that the book is pretty similar to the online documentation.

They do not cover all of the possible use cases, but I found the following Youtube channels to be quite useful in learning Keycloak:

1 Like

Ok, in that case I have another question. Given that most of the guides are written for v19, is v19 safe to use in production?

The documentation is less than stellar and I don’t think I can learn this with just a list of option definitions. Sorry I don’t mean to sound offensive.

You’re in no way offensive.
The docs are what they are…
They are really comprehensive and nearly all information is there… somewhere… sometimes hidden…
If you know what you’re looking for, you’ll find it. Otherwise - good luck!

I’d suggest to start with a good basic understanding of OAuth2, OIDC and JWT. With these basics, everything else will become much more easier. Unfortunately my conference talks about these basics are not publicly available. :frowning:
But there is a video from Okta, explaining some stuff: An Illustrated Guide to OAuth and OpenID Connect - YouTube
I also recommend reading the specs. I know, nobody likes to read specs, but I think it’s worth getting a deep understanding of all that stuff.
After that, Keycloak is “just a tool” to get things working. :wink:

1 Like

From the server side: yes.
But don’t use the new Admin UI which is default starting with v19, use the old ui!!!

What’s the difference, how can I tell and how do I make sure I’m using the old UI in v19? I’ve never seen an option to do so. Sorry, I’ve never been this lost trying to learn a package.

In Realm SettingsThemes, set the Admin Theme to keycloak

Hey @dasniko you suggested I read the specs… May I ask the specs for what? Sorry I’ve never been this lost.

OAuth 2.0 as the technical base: overview of all specs / base spec RFC 6749
OIDC: overview of all specs / core spec

Thank you @dasniko, you’ve been of great help.

Today I decided to give the guides another go, and the interface is not even the same.

Screenshot from the documentation:

Screenshot from my install:

Everything is in a different place than specified. I went from 20.0.5 to 19.0.3 expecting it to be similar to some videos I’ve seen on Youtube to no avail.

I’m also getting this randomly on Firefox:

Screenshot 2023-03-29 at 16-04-13 Keycloak Administration Console

If I’m getting this by just going back one version, I can’t even imagine what I will get if I keep going back.

I think this product is not for me. Either the documentation is lacking intentionally so that people pay for support or this is one of the worst documented apps ever. This is coming from a developer with more than 15 years of experience.

I apologize for my harsh words. You guys have been nothing but helpful, but this product wasted an incredible amount of my time.

Hi Barbara,
with regards to keycloak tutorials, here you can find some recently updated tutorials which cover the latest Keycloak versions:

Keycloak tutorial for beginners

Getting started with Keycloak powered by Quarkus

Hope it helps
Francesco

As @melancholia mentioned, I find the “Keycloak - Identity and Access Management for Modern Applications” book useful.
I had already used keycloak at work but didn’t really understand how it worked and all the concepts revolving around it.

While there a handful of useful guides in the official documentation I felt like they lacked structure and were more targeted to people already having a basic understanding of keycloak.

The book takes some good use cases and explain them well along with the selected solutions.

It’s not perfect, I’m having issues with configuring x509 client cert auth for example and could not find anything about it in the book but it helped me setup my instance pretty easily with a LDAP server as backend for user federation.

I also had some issues with screenshots coming from older versions than mine at the time but could always find my way around those without too much trouble.

By the way, the second edition of the book is available:

1 Like