How to set up a client scope from kcadm?

I have a need to create some constant information to be added to a JWT for everything in a certain realm. I managed to get it set up manually by doing the following for each item:

• Creating a Client Scope for the item
  • In Client>Client Scopes I added the scope to the Assigned Default
  • Added a protocol mapper to Client Mapper type = Hardcoded Claim

But I need to script this to make it more easily repeatable across multiple realms. I’m fine with using kcadm to create a realm and a client and a user but I don’t see anything about creating client scopes. Ideally it is just some kcadm commands I haven’t found yet. I’m, using KC 11.0.0

So far I have got the first step done:

./kcadm.sh create -x “client-scopes” -r $REALM_NAME -s name=tenantSecret

But the other two are eluding me. I’ve been looking at the API lots, tried lots of things that give me errors. Does anyone know how to do this?
Thanks
Roger

I managed to figure this one out myself. This is the resulting script:

# Create a Realm for the tenant (use lower case for Realm Name)
./kcadm.sh create realms -s realm=$REALM_NAME -s enabled=true
# create  Client Scope
./kcadm.sh create -x "client-scopes" -r $REALM_NAME -s name=tenantId -s protocol=openid-connect

./kcadm.sh create clients -r $REALM_NAME \
	-s clientId=my-client \
	-s enabled=true

CLIENT_ID=`./kcadm.sh get -x "clients" -r $REALM_NAME | jq '.[] | select(.clientId == "my-client") | .id'| sed -r 's/^"|"$//g'`
./kcadm.sh create clients/$CLIENT_ID/protocol-mappers/models -r $REALM_NAME \
	-s name=tenantId -s protocol=openid-connect \
	-s protocolMapper=oidc-hardcoded-claim-mapper \
	-s config="{\"claim.value\" : \"$REALM_NAME\",\"claim.name\" : \"tenantId\",\"jsonType.label\" : \"String\",\"access.token.claim\" : \"true\"}"

./kcadm.sh update clients/$CLIENT_ID  -r $REALM_NAME --body "{\"defaultClientScopes\": [\"tenantId\"]}"

The resulting evaluation in Clients>my-client>Client Scopes for my test user shows the tenantId value in the access token.

2 Likes

Appreciate the courtesy mate!

I’ve used the -f flag in the create client command to create the client by passing a JSON file to the command.
However, the kcadm.sh update client command isn’t updating my client with the newly created client scopes when the updated file is passed to it via the -f flag.
Anybody know how do I update a client by passing the JSON file as a parameter?

1 Like

I confirm, keycloak:11.0.2 doesn’t update client with kcadm.sh update client, it doesn’t error out either…

1 Like

That’s right Andriy,

I’ve used the command given below to update the client scopes:

kcadm.sh update http://keycloak:8080/auth/admin/realms/${REALM_NAME}/clients/${CLIENT_ID}/default-client-scopes/${CLIENT-SCOPE_ID}