Keycloak 10.0.2 - doesn't start locally twice

I migrated my local installation on WIndows (using h2 database), from keycloak 9.0.0 to Keycloak 10.0.2

I did as migration guide suggest: copy /standalone folder from old to new sever, run migration script, start server - database will migrate. Server starts succesfully.

When I stop it and try to start again I get errors:

11:35:10,796 WARN [org.jboss.jca.core.connectionmanager.pool.strategy.OnePool] (ServerService Thread Pool – 60) IJ000604: Throwable while attempting to get a new connection: null: javax.resource.ResourceException: IJ031084: Unable to create connection

Caused by: org.h2.jdbc.JdbcSQLException: Unique index or primary key violation: “PRIMARY KEY ON “””".PAGE_INDEX"
Unique index or primary key violation: “PRIMARY KEY ON “””".PAGE_INDEX"; SQL statement:
ALTER TABLE PUBLIC.USER_FEDERATION_CONFIG ADD CONSTRAINT PUBLIC.FK_T13HPU1J94R2EBPEKR39X5EU5 FOREIGN KEY(USER_FEDERATION_PROVIDER_ID) REFERENCES PUBLIC.USER_FEDERATION_PROVIDER(ID) NOCHECK [23505-197]

When I remove standalone, copy again from old version - it starts once, and then the same.

Came across the same problem when trying to upgrade 3.1.0.Final to 11.0.2. Found out this was caused by Fail to open database created by 1.4.196 in 1.4.197-SNAPSHOT on second opening · Issue #1247 · h2database/h2database · GitHub.

As a workaround, I dumped & restored the keycloak H2 datasource file before starting the new version:

Given:

• Old KeyCloak is installed in keycloak-3.1.0.Final
  • New KeyCloak is installed in keycloak-11.0.2
  • Running standalone setup
  • Datasource is configured with below connection URL

<connection-url> jdbc:h2:${jboss.server.data.dir}/keycloak;AUTO_SERVER=TRUE </connection-url>

Dump old sql:

java -cp keycloak-3.1.0.Final/modules/system/layers/base/com/h2database/h2/main/h2-1.3.173.jar org.h2.tools.Script -url jdbc:h2:keycloak-3.1.0.Final/standalone/data/keycloak -user sa -password MYPASS -script ~/keycloak-testbackup.sql

Restore to new H2 file (make sure file doesn’t exists prior to running the restore):

java -cp keycloak-11.0.2/modules/system/layers/base/com/h2database/h2/main/h2-1.4.197.jar org.h2.tools.RunScript -url jdbc:h2:keycloak-11.0.2/standalone/data/keycloak -user sa -password MYPASS -script ~/keycloak-testbackup.sql

Now upon starting the application server (keycloak-11.0.2) for the first time, the schema is migrated to the latest version, and remains running properly at each restart.

2 Likes