Keycloak 16.1.0 reports extension errors after fresh install

Hello all, I’m a first-time user of Keycloak with no experience in prior versions. I’ve gone to the downloads page, used the top link (“Distribution powered by WildFly”) to obtain keycloak-16.1.0.zip. I’ve extracted this into a folder on a Windows Server 2016 machine. Then I went and set up a Windows service, like I’ve done for other Wildfly servers in the past, so I can comfortably start it and have it start itself when the machine boots.

All of this worked just fine. I can connect to the CLI and interact with the server.

However, when I do so, I get the following error:

[disconnected /] connect
Warning! There were errors trying to load extensions. For more details, please, execute ‘extension-commands --errors’

[standalone@localhost:9990 /] extension-commands --errors
The following problems were encountered while looking for additional commands in extensions:

1. Module org.keycloak.keycloak-server-subsystem from extension org.keycloak.keycloak-server-subsystem available on the server couldn’t be loaded locally: org.keycloak.keycloak-server-subsystem

If I look at the official installation documentation, it mentions a second file: keycloak-overlay-16.1.0.zip.
However, I cannot find this file on the Downloads page. Neither in the current nor in the deprecated links.

Additionally, the documentation also says that this file is for the express purpose of installing Keycloak on an existing Wildfly server that already hosts something else. I don’t want to do that. I want Keycloak by itself, on its own bundled Wildfly server, alone on this system.

Apart from this, I see nothing in the official documentation that looks like it might help with this error.

Could you help me troubleshoot and fix this? :slight_smile:

When I install the same download package on my private Windows 10 machine, the error does not appear. So it’s something specific to that particular server.

Still don’t know how to even begin figuring out what it is…

Managed to figure it out, so for future reference:

I had been experimenting with Wildfly before, and had made a shortcut to the CLI tool from the very first download for ease of use. It seemed to work just fine for any instance I created. Little did I know that it actually matters quite a lot which CLI tool you use!

Once I started using the CLI tool that came shipped with Keycloak within its own folder structure, the error disappeared.