Load balancing Quarkus

Hello,

I have read the latest documentation and when it comes about clustering and load balancing it only evoques the manipulation to do on a Wildfly distribution and not at all what to do on a Quarkus one.

So my question is pretty simple, what do I need to setup in Keycloak in order to load balance Keycloak properly?

Some data:

• Using Keycloak 18.0
  • Load balancing used : haproxy (I manage that part).

Thanks

Keycloak uses the infinispan cache to share sessions between instances. Assuming you have that working properly, there is no special setup you need in your load balancer.

Meaning I can only use the configuration stated in the documentation regarding infinispan?

What about the external PostgreSQL database? Can several instances point to the same database? Should they be replicated ? If yes, how? Active or passive?

Thanks

If you haven’t already, I would recommend looking at the “Server” guides here: Guides - Keycloak
There are sections there regarding cache, database and reverse proxy. If one of those is unclear, post a specific question here.

That’s what I’ve read and all docs speaks about standalone.xml and domain.xml which doesn’t exists in Quarkus anymore and my question was about doing it with a Quarkus distribution.

Incorrect. The guides in the link I sent are specific to the Quarkus distribution.

If you have a configuration you’ve tried, please share it, and we can help you debug.

1 Like

I moved forward on this topic by continue reading and manipulating the same time.

What I have done so far is to use your gist giving a proper cache-ispn.xml file and make Keycloak use it properly.
Looking at the table jgroupsping I have one row containing my host.

Embedded infinispan seems to start properly as per Keycloak log:

2022-08-07 15:03:38,534 DEBUG [org.infinispan.quarkus.hibernate.cache.QuarkusInfinispanRegionFactory] (JPA Startup Thread: supplier-store) Starting Infinispan region factory
2022-08-07 15:03:38,560 DEBUG [org.hibernate.internal.SessionFactoryImpl] (JPA Startup Thread: supplier-store) Instantiating session factory with properties: {hibernate.hbm2ddl.auto=update, hibernate.allow_update_outside_transaction=false, hibernate.connection.handling_mode=DELAYED_ACQUISITION_AND_RELEASE_BEFORE_TRANSACTION_COMPLETION, hibernate.dialect=org.hibernate.dialect.PostgreSQLDialect, javax.persistence.transactionType=JTA, hibernate.bytecode.allow_enhancement_as_proxy=true, hibernate.xml_mapping_enabled=false, hibernate.multiTenancy=NONE, hibernate.jdbc.wrap_result_sets=false, hibernate.ejb.persistenceUnitName=supplier-store, hibernate.temp.use_jdbc_metadata_defaults=true, hibernate.transaction.coordinator_class=class org.hibernate.resource.transaction.backend.jta.internal.JtaTransactionCoordinatorBuilderImpl, hibernate.connection.datasource=io.agroal.pool.DataSource@563a5746, hibernate.show_sql=false, hibernate.connection.provider_disables_autocommit=true, hibernate.cache.region.factory_class=org.infinispan.quarkus.hibernate.cache.QuarkusInfinispanRegionFactory, hibernate.order_updates=true}
2022-08-07 15:03:38,580 DEBUG [org.infinispan.quarkus.hibernate.cache.QuarkusInfinispanRegionFactory] (JPA Startup Thread: keycloak-default) Starting Infinispan region factory
2022-08-07 15:03:38,580 DEBUG [org.hibernate.internal.SessionFactoryImpl] (JPA Startup Thread: keycloak-default) Instantiating session factory with properties: {hibernate.allow_update_outside_transaction=false, hibernate.connection.handling_mode=DELAYED_ACQUISITION_AND_RELEASE_BEFORE_TRANSACTION_COMPLETION, hibernate.dialect=io.quarkus.hibernate.orm.runtime.dialect.QuarkusPostgreSQL10Dialect, javax.persistence.transactionType=JTA, hibernate.bytecode.allow_enhancement_as_proxy=true, hibernate.xml_mapping_enabled=false, hibernate.multiTenancy=NONE, hibernate.jdbc.wrap_result_sets=false, hibernate.ejb.persistenceUnitName=keycloak-default, hibernate.temp.use_jdbc_metadata_defaults=true, jboss.as.jpa.managed=false, hibernate.transaction.coordinator_class=class org.hibernate.resource.transaction.backend.jta.internal.JtaTransactionCoordinatorBuilderImpl, kc.query.deleteExpiredClientSessions=delete from PersistentClientSessionEntity sess where sess.userSessionId IN (select u.userSessionId from PersistentUserSessionEntity u where u.realmId = :realmId AND u.offline = :offline AND u.lastSessionRefresh < :lastSessionRefresh), hibernate.query.startup_check=false, hibernate.connection.provider_disables_autocommit=true, hibernate.connection.datasource=io.agroal.pool.DataSource@3d34d26b, hibernate.cache.region.factory_class=org.infinispan.quarkus.hibernate.cache.QuarkusInfinispanRegionFactory, hibernate.order_updates=true}

Instance is well detected aswell:

2022-08-07 15:03:39,754 INFO [org.keycloak.connections.infinispan.DefaultInfinispanConnectionProviderFactory] (main) Node name: core-keycloak-51068, Site name: null

However it stills argues that no remote store is configured for cache.

2022-08-07 15:03:39,854 DEBUG [org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.InfinispanUserSessionProviderFactory] (main) No remote store configured for cache ‘sessions’
2022-08-07 15:03:39,854 DEBUG [org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.InfinispanUserSessionProviderFactory] (main) No remote store configured for cache ‘clientSessions’
2022-08-07 15:03:39,855 DEBUG [org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.InfinispanUserSessionProviderFactory] (main) No remote store configured for cache ‘offlineSessions’
2022-08-07 15:03:39,855 DEBUG [org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.InfinispanUserSessionProviderFactory] (main) No remote store configured for cache ‘offlineClientSessions’
2022-08-07 15:03:39,856 DEBUG [org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.InfinispanUserSessionProviderFactory] (main) Skipping pre-loading of userSessions from persistent storage
2022-08-07 15:03:39,859 DEBUG [org.keycloak.cluster.infinispan.CrossDCAwareCacheFactory] (main) No configured remoteStore available. Cross-DC scenario is not used
2022-08-07 15:03:39,869 DEBUG [org.keycloak.cluster.infinispan.InfinispanClusterProviderFactory] (main) Initialized cluster startup time to Sun Aug 07 15:03:38 CEST 2022
2022-08-07 15:03:39,871 DEBUG [org.keycloak.cluster.infinispan.InfinispanNotificationsManager] (main) Added listener for infinispan cache: work
2022-08-07 15:03:39,872 DEBUG [org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.InfinispanUserSessionProviderFactory] (main) Registered cluster listeners
2022-08-07 15:03:39,873 DEBUG [org.keycloak.models.sessions.infinispan.InfinispanUserLoginFailureProviderFactory] (main) No remote store configured for cache ‘loginFailures’

Any idea why?

Per curiosity I also installed an external infinispan on the server, configured it using the same cache-container and jgroups section. Navigating to the console website I observe that my keycloak node appears, all cache files correctly created and not used with same message in Keycloak logs (no DC configured).

Any help would be more that welcome.