Problem with multivalued custom token mapper

I have written a custom token mapper by extending from AbstractOIDCProtocolMapper.

I have also added a custom static create method to be able to indicate that I want have have “multivalued” enabled for my custom claim:

public static ProtocolMapperModel create(String name,
                                             boolean accessToken,
                                             boolean idToken,
                                             boolean userInfo) {
        // This static method is called automatically by Keycloak when it is present
        // It allows to set the MULTIVALUED attribute to true so we can return a list of things
        ProtocolMapperModel mapper = new ProtocolMapperModel();
        mapper.setName(name);
        mapper.setProtocolMapper(PROVIDER_ID);
        mapper.setProtocol(OIDCLoginProtocol.LOGIN_PROTOCOL);
        Map<String, String> config = new HashMap<>();
        config.put(ProtocolMapperUtils.MULTIVALUED, Boolean.TRUE.toString());
        if (accessToken) {
            config.put(OIDCAttributeMapperHelper.INCLUDE_IN_ACCESS_TOKEN, "true");
        }
        if (idToken) {
            config.put(OIDCAttributeMapperHelper.INCLUDE_IN_ID_TOKEN, "true");
        }
        if (userInfo) {
            config.put(OIDCAttributeMapperHelper.INCLUDE_IN_USERINFO, "true");
        }
        mapper.setConfig(config);
        return mapper;
    }

I have integration tests in place using TestContainers and everything seems to work fine. If I remove the line to enable “multivalued”, the test fails, etc…

However, in our test Keycloak, it seems that this “multivalued” is not honered. Instead of a JSON array, we get a JSON object with the first element of what the array normally should contain.

I already tried to remove the mapper for the client and add it again, but does not seem to help at all. Is there anything else I can try or look at?

For some reason, the configuration of the mapper in the database did not have multivalued set to true. If I did a clean install of everything, then everything works as expected.

I have now manually fixed the one installation where it was wrong by adding an extra row to the tabel that has the configuration of the protocol mappers for this mapper. After restarting Keycloak, the claim contained an array as expected.