Strange behavior when login as admin, requiring the recovery codes

So I’ve installed the Keycloak 18.0.0 as docker and I get this error when I’m trying to login as admin: Unable to find factory for Required Action: CONFIGURE_RECOVERY_AUTHN_CODES

It’s very strange, because I have just this ENV KC_FEATURES=authorization,impersonation,client-policies,dynamic-scopes as features. I must say that I’ve tried the recovery_code function with another pod, that used the same DB (so one solution will be to delete the db, but let’s say I don’t want to do that, is there another way?)

Any ideas?

And just as curiosity, is there a documentation on how actually to do the code recovery stuff? (Didn’t find anything to understand better the process).

Detailed error:

[org.keycloak.services] (executor-thread-0) KC-SERVICES0013: Failed authentication: java.lang.RuntimeException: Unable to find factory for Required Action: CONFIGURE_RECOVERY_AUTHN_CODES did you forget to declare it in a META-INF/services file?
	at org.keycloak.services.managers.AuthenticationManager.toRequiredActionFactory(AuthenticationManager.java:1411)
	at org.keycloak.services.managers.AuthenticationManager.lambda$evaluateRequiredActionTriggers$18(AuthenticationManager.java:1373)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$3$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:195)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline$2$1.accept(ReferencePipeline.java:177)
	at java.base/java.util.ArrayList$ArrayListSpliterator.forEachRemaining(ArrayList.java:1655)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.copyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:484)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.wrapAndCopyInto(AbstractPipeline.java:474)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:150)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.ForEachOps$ForEachOp$OfRef.evaluateSequential(ForEachOps.java:173)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.AbstractPipeline.evaluate(AbstractPipeline.java:234)
	at java.base/java.util.stream.ReferencePipeline.forEachOrdered(ReferencePipeline.java:502)
	at org.keycloak.services.managers.AuthenticationManager.evaluateRequiredActionTriggers(AuthenticationManager.java:1374)
	at org.keycloak.services.managers.AuthenticationManager.nextRequiredAction(AuthenticationManager.java:1079)
	at org.keycloak.authentication.AuthenticationProcessor.nextRequiredAction(AuthenticationProcessor.java:1136)
	at org.keycloak.authentication.AuthenticationProcessor.authenticationComplete(AuthenticationProcessor.java:1126)
	at org.keycloak.authentication.AuthenticationProcessor.authenticationAction(AuthenticationProcessor.java:998)
	at org.keycloak.services.resources.LoginActionsService.processFlow(LoginActionsService.java:321)
	at org.keycloak.services.resources.LoginActionsService.processAuthentication(LoginActionsService.java:292)
	at org.keycloak.services.resources.LoginActionsService.authenticate(LoginActionsService.java:276)
	at org.keycloak.services.resources.LoginActionsService.authenticateForm(LoginActionsService.java:349)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Native Method)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(NativeMethodAccessorImpl.java:62)
	at java.base/jdk.internal.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:43)
	at java.base/java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:566)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.MethodInjectorImpl.invoke(MethodInjectorImpl.java:170)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.MethodInjectorImpl.invoke(MethodInjectorImpl.java:130)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.internalInvokeOnTarget(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:660)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invokeOnTargetAfterFilter(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:524)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.lambda$invokeOnTarget$2(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:474)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.interception.jaxrs.PreMatchContainerRequestContext.filter(PreMatchContainerRequestContext.java:364)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invokeOnTarget(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:476)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceMethodInvoker.invoke(ResourceMethodInvoker.java:434)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invokeOnTargetObject(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:192)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invoke(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:141)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.ResourceLocatorInvoker.invoke(ResourceLocatorInvoker.java:32)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:492)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.lambda$invoke$4(SynchronousDispatcher.java:261)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.lambda$preprocess$0(SynchronousDispatcher.java:161)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.interception.jaxrs.PreMatchContainerRequestContext.filter(PreMatchContainerRequestContext.java:364)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.preprocess(SynchronousDispatcher.java:164)
	at org.jboss.resteasy.core.SynchronousDispatcher.invoke(SynchronousDispatcher.java:247)
	at io.quarkus.resteasy.runtime.standalone.RequestDispatcher.service(RequestDispatcher.java:73)
	at io.quarkus.resteasy.runtime.standalone.VertxRequestHandler.dispatch(VertxRequestHandler.java:151)
	at io.quarkus.resteasy.runtime.standalone.VertxRequestHandler.handle(VertxRequestHandler.java:82)
	at io.quarkus.resteasy.runtime.standalone.VertxRequestHandler.handle(VertxRequestHandler.java:42)
	at io.vertx.ext.web.impl.RouteState.handleContext(RouteState.java:1212)
	at io.vertx.ext.web.impl.RoutingContextImplBase.iterateNext(RoutingContextImplBase.java:163)
	at io.vertx.ext.web.impl.RoutingContextImpl.next(RoutingContextImpl.java:141)
	at io.quarkus.vertx.http.runtime.StaticResourcesRecorder$2.handle(StaticResourcesRecorder.java:67)
	at io.quarkus.vertx.http.runtime.StaticResourcesRecorder$2.handle(StaticResourcesRecorder.java:55)
	at io.vertx.ext.web.impl.RoutingContextImplBase.iterateNext(RoutingContextImplBase.java:163)
	at io.quarkus.vertx.http.runtime.VertxHttpRecorder$5.handle(VertxHttpRecorder.java:380)
	at io.quarkus.vertx.http.runtime.VertxHttpRecorder$5.handle(VertxHttpRecorder.java:358)
	at org.keycloak.quarkus.runtime.integration.web.QuarkusRequestFilter.lambda$createBlockingHandler$1(QuarkusRequestFilter.java:71)
	at io.vertx.core.impl.ContextImpl.lambda$null$0(ContextImpl.java:159)
	at io.vertx.core.impl.AbstractContext.dispatch(AbstractContext.java:100)
	at io.vertx.core.impl.ContextImpl.lambda$executeBlocking$1(ContextImpl.java:157)
	at io.quarkus.vertx.core.runtime.VertxCoreRecorder$13.runWith(VertxCoreRecorder.java:543)
	at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$Task.run(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:2449)
	at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.run(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1478)
	at org.jboss.threads.DelegatingRunnable.run(DelegatingRunnable.java:29)
	at org.jboss.threads.ThreadLocalResettingRunnable.run(ThreadLocalResettingRunnable.java:29)
	at io.netty.util.concurrent.FastThreadLocalRunnable.run(FastThreadLocalRunnable.java:30)
	at java.base/java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:829)

CONFIGURE_RECOVERY_AUTHN_CODES is a preview feature and had bug up untill version 19.

You have two options.

1. Go to the required_action_provider table and disable CONFIGURE_RECOVERY_AUTHN_CODES action per each realm.

2. Try the latest version.

I encounter the same problem. Here I build my docker image with the latest version already.

I found that all the preview feature will cause this problem.
But I need the user profile and update email.
I didn’t find this until I switch to production.

UPDATE:
Solved.

1. Change RUN /opt/keycloak/bin/kc.sh build to RUN /opt/keycloak/bin/kc.sh build --features preview.
  2. Remove ENV KC_FEATURES=preview.