Migrate Keycloak 11.0.2 to 23.0.4

Hello everyone,

we´re currently using Keycloak 11.0.2 with 3 realms and 150 users. We encountered some problems with the current install and we want to migrate all users and realms to a new server with a Keycloak 23.0.4 install. We already restored the old Keycloak database on the new server, but i can´t import the realms. Every time i want to import the realms via gui or cli i get the following error:

“Import failed: Script upload is disabled”

Is there any way to directly migrate from 11.0.2 to 23.0.4? Or is there any other way? We need to import all users and realms otherwise they will get new accounts in our Nextcloud etc…

Thank you in advance.

Many greetings from Germany

YZ

There might be a multitude of issues at play here.

Mostly, you’re migrating across several years of development. The data model and import and export formats have changed. Furthermore the feature to upload custom js got removed (assuming this it what the error message refers to).
You said you managed to mirgate the database. What happens when you start the current keycloak version against the database and let it handle migrating the data on its own, bypassing any import/export steps?

Just to have mentioned it, it’s probably a good idea to have a backup of the database, or test on a throwaway clone.