Nodejs Confidential Rest-Api w/ Permissions - Always 403s - What Am I Doing Wrong?

Hi Everyone,

I’ve tried for many hours now and seem to have hit a wall. Any advice/help would be appreciated.

Goal: I want to authorize the express rest-api (ex client-id: “my-rest-api”) routes (example resource: “WeatherForecast”) across various HTTP methods mapped to client scopes (examples: “create”/“read”/“update”/“delete”). I want to control those permissions through policies (For example - “Read - WeatherForecast - Permission” will be granted if policy “Admin Group Only” (user belongs to admin group) is satisfied.

Rest-api will not log users in (will be done from front end talking directly to keycloak and then they will use that token to talk with rest-api).

Environment:

• Keycloak 15.1.1 running in its own container, port 8080, on docker locally (w/ shared network with rest-api)
  • “my-rest-api”: Nodejs 16.14.x w/ express 4.17.x server running on its own container on docker locally. Using keycloak-connect 15.1.1 and express-session 1.17.2.
  • Currently hitting “my-rest-api” through postman following this guide: Kecloak in Docker #7 – How to authorize requests via Postman

What Happens: I can login from keycloak login page through postman and get an access token. However when I hit any endpoint that uses keycloak.protect() or keycloak.enforce() (with or without specifying resource permissions) I can’t get through. In the following code the delete endpoint returns back 200 + the HTML of the keycloak login page in postman and the Get returns back 403 + “Access Denied”.

Current State of Realm

• Test User (who I login with in Postman) has group “Admin”.
  • Client “my-rest-api” with access-type: Confidential with Authorization enabled.
  • Authorization set up:
    • Policy Enforcement Mode: Enforcing, Decision Strategy: Unanimous
    • “WeatherForecast” resource with uri “/api/WeatherForecast” and create/read/update/delete client scopes applied.
    • “Only Admins Policy” for anyone in group admin. Logic positive.
    • Permission for each of the client scopes for “WeatherForecast” resource with “Only Admins Policy” selected, Decision Strategy: “Affirmative”.

Current State of Nodejs Code:

import express from 'express';
import bodyParser from 'body-parser';
import session from "express-session";
import KeycloakConnect from 'keycloak-connect';

const app = express();

app.use(bodyParser.json());

const memoryStore = new session.MemoryStore();
app.use(session({
    secret: 'some secret',
    resave: false,
    saveUninitialized: true,
    store: memoryStore
  }));

const kcConfig: any = { 
    clientId: 'my-rest-api',
    bearerOnly: true,
    serverUrl: 'http://localhost:8080/auth',
    realm: 'my-realm',
};
const keycloak = new KeycloakConnect({ store: memoryStore }, kcConfig);

app.use(keycloak.middleware({
    logout: '/logout',
    admin: '/',
}));

app.get('/api/WeatherForecast', keycloak.enforcer(['WeatherForecast:read'],{  resource_server_id: "my-rest-api"}), function (req, res) {
   res.json("GET worked")
  });

app.delete('/api/WeatherForecast', keycloak.protect(), function (req, res) {
     res.json("DELETE worked")
});

app.listen(8081, () => {
    console.log(`server running on port 8081`);
  });

A Few Other Things Tried:

• I tried calling RPT endpoint with curl using token gotten from postman and got the RPT token perfectly fine, saw permissions as expected.
  • I tried calling keycloak.checkPermissions({permissions: [{id: “WeatherForecast”, scopes: [“read”]}]}, req).then(grant => res.json(grant.access_token)); from inside an unsecured endpoint and got “Connection refused 127.0.0.1:8080”.
  • I tried just disabling Policy Enforcement Mode just to see, still got Access Denied/403.
  • I tried using keycloak.json config instead of object method above - same exact results either way.
  • I tried openid-client (from another tutorial) and also got connected refused issues.
  • I’ve tried using docker host ip, host.docker.internal, the container name, etc. to no avail (even though I don’t think it is an issue as I obviously can hit the auth service and get the first access token).

I really want to use Keycloak and I feel like my team is so close to being able to do so but need some assistance getting past this part. Thank you!

1 Like