Use node application as client

Hello,

I have 3 applications; a backend server, web client and a node.js bot application that will also serve as client. I don’t have any issue authenticating web client using keycloak’s js adapter but I am not sure how to authenticate node.js bot application as client. keycloak-js adapter seems to be designed for browsers and keycloak-nodejs-connect seems to be designed for server applications (I couldn’t see any methods in the source code for loging in). Also documentation for these 2 packages literally do not exist. Their npm packages show keycloak’s documentation but that’s a general documentation about keycloak not module’s.

All in all how can I authenticate my node.js app (that will serve as client not server) using client credentials grant?

https://alexbilbie.com/guide-to-oauth-2-grants/

Client credentials grant (section 4.4)

The simplest of all of the OAuth 2.0 grants, this grant is suitable for machine-to-machine authentication where a specific user’s permission to access data is not required.

The Flow

The client sends a POST request with following body parameters to the authorization server:

• grant_type with the value client_credentials
  • client_id with the the client’s ID
  • client_secret with the client’s secret
  • scope with a space-delimited list of requested scope permissions.

The authorization server will respond with a JSON object containing the following properties:

• token_type with the value Bearer
  • expires_in with an integer representing the TTL of the access token
  • access_token the access token itself

You need the token endpoint /auth/realms/REALM/protocol/openid-connect/token
Client Settings:
Access Type = confidential
Service Accounts Enabled = ON

1 Like

You are a life saver man thanks :slight_smile: And I suppose after initial request I’ll just start a cron job that’ll request new token where expires_in is used as interval.