Correct placement for messages_xx.properties for theme-resources?

Hi all,

I’ve got a few .ftl templates I’m bundling with an extension in the src/main/resources/theme-resources/ directory, so that they can be used with by my extension independently of deploying a theme with it. I’m trying to find out if messages properties files are supported with this approach, but I can’t figure out where to put them so they get picked up. I tried src/main/resources/theme-resources/messages/messages_en.properties, but that doesn’t seem to work. Any ideas?

Thank you and best wishes,
xgp

Did you solve it?
I did this in a recent project exact the same way you mentioned and it works. So, I think it‘s the correct way to do it. :man_shrugging:

Hm. It’s not picking it up. I will simplify things to see if something else I am doing is messing with the default.

Don’t know if you solved your issue or if it’s still valid…
But I recognized something similar yesterday in my environment (17 Quarkus):

As soon as I have more than one custom JAR deployment with a, e.g., messages_en.properties file, only the one from the JAR which is loaded first will be used. Any other messages_en.properties file from JARs which will be loaded afterwards will be ignored, as there is already a custom `messages_en.properties_ loaded and available in the classpath.

So, if you have multiple custom provider JARs containing several messages_en.properties, only the first will be considered. Either you’ll have to deploy all providers together in one JAR with one messages_en.properties or you’ll have to overwrite the keys in a custom theme which isn’t deployed via JAR, but in the folder structure directly.

:man_shrugging:

Thanks for following up on this. I still see the same behavior you describe. I’ll test to see if it’s deployment order that causes the override. Do you think we should submit a bug report for this?

Don’t know if this is really a “bug”, but at least an “unpleasant behavior” :wink:
We can try to start a discussion first and then see how the team responds (if).

1 Like

Hello !

I am having a similar issue with “messages_xx.properties” files not loaded in some cases.

I have 3 custom JARs, all of them containing theme-resources/messages/messages_xx.properties files, deployed on my Keycloak (v15.1.1) :

  • One is a module “lib” (CM1), placed into keycloak/modules/fr/mygroup/mylib/main/
  • The second is a custom authenticator (CM2) deployed in keycloak/standalone/deployments
  • The third is a also a custom authenticator (CM3) deployed in keycloak/standalone/deployments. It uses CM1 as a module dependency.

I have done some tests :

  • When I use CM3 in my authentication flow, the messages_xx.properties of CM3 is not found (still the key CM3-KEY on the page).
  • If I declare the CM3-KEY on the messages_xx.properties of CM1, then I see the value on the page !
  • If I declare the CM3-KEY on the messages_xx.properties of CM2, with another value, then it’s this value that I see on the page.
  • The CM3-KEY on the messages_xx.properties of CM3 never appears.
  • If I remove CM2, it still the CM1 value that is visible.

It seems, in my case, the problem appears only when a custom jar use another custom jar as a dependency. To me, this behavior sounds like a bug.

It’s problematic because I have many custom jar that can be used without specific theme. If I have to put messages of a custom JAR into a “lib” JAR, the dependencies goes bidirectional and it’s not what I expects.

Regards,

Then you should open an issue here.