Keycloak managed service

Hi, I have questions about us operating our own managed Keycloak service…

We’re using Keycloak on some new services which will be released as open source. Currently we have two separate servers running our services each with almost identical build. The Keycloak config is very similar but unique but for each server with differences due to the domain/realm/account data etc.

In order to make it easier for anyone picking up our open source solution, currently they would be required to build their own Keycloak server (we’ve done this twice so far, using docker images).

We’re considering setting up a master Keycloak managed service, which we would manage and operate. We’d use this master keycloak managed service as our own primary Keycloak service (i.e. removing our current Keycloak installs on the application servers). We’d obviously look to make it as resilient and bulletproof as possible with DR infrastructure etc.

We’d then offer our open source users that don’t want or are unable to setup their own Keycloak servers to use our managed service for some kind of fee. We’d create them a new realm specific to their servers. We’re a non-profit so it should end up cheaper than the business pricing I’ve encountered, which is generally pretty high.

Please what are your thoughts on this approach?

Please where is the best place to hire Keycloak expertise be it freelance or permanent staff?

If you know of any existing manged service providers which are lower cost, please let me know. I fully appreciate the importance and criticality of the Keycloak service however, in this moment we’re able to operate it ourselves, and the pricing I’ve seen today is prohibitive.

Thank you

1 Like