MS SQL Server trustServerCertificate property not working

I’m trying to setup keycloak 21.1.1 with an MS SQL Server database but keep receiving this error:

2023-06-12 02:56:06,791 ERROR [org.keycloak.quarkus.runtime.cli.ExecutionExceptionHandler] (main) ERROR: Failed to obtain JDBC connection
2023-06-12 02:56:06,791 ERROR [org.keycloak.quarkus.runtime.cli.ExecutionExceptionHandler] (main) ERROR: The driver could not establish a secure connection to SQL Server by using Secure Sockets Layer (SSL) encryption. Error: "PKIX path building failed: sun.security.provider.certpath.SunCertPathBuilderException: unable to find valid certification path to requested target". ClientConnectionId:2ba75e50-05fb-46ab-a2fa-e72cf7198e3b

MS SQL Server is using a self-signed certificate and so I need to either pass “trustServerCertificate=true;” or “encrypt=false;” to connection string. I’ve tried passing one or both of these parameters a variety of ways but none of them are taking effect:

• Setting additional properties: --db-url-properties="trustServerCertificate=true;" (I have tried it with and without quotes, with and without the semicolon at the end)
  • Specifying the whole JDBC url: --db-url jdbc:sqlserver://127.0.0.1:1433;userName=sa;password=Testing1234;trustServerCertificate=true;
  • Setting environment variable JDBC_PARAMS="trustServerCertificate=true;" (again, with and without quotes, and with and without the semicolon)
  • All of the above using "encrypt=false;" instead

Any ideas why I can’t get either of these parameters to work?

Same issue here. I can start KC in production mode using the .conf file with the full JDBC url string but i cant make it work with “kc start” and passing the JDBC parameters in the command. Documentation seems to be a bit short about this and already tried all of those combinations you mention.

Did any of you solve this problem? I’m having the same problem here as well

I’ve been having the issue on Windows Server 2016. I found this previous fix from version 20. I added this is to my keycloak.conf file:

db-url-database=keycloak23
db-url-host=server.domain.org
db-url-port=1433
db-url-properties=";trustServerCertificate=true;encrypted=false"

After some trial and error, I’ve at least stopped receiving PKIX errors, but now I’m getting

2024-02-01 11:43:17,020 WARN  [org.infinispan.CONFIG] (keycloak-cache-init) ISPN000569: Unable to persist Infinispan internal caches as no global state enabled
2024-02-01 11:43:18,829 WARN  [org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.env.internal.JdbcEnvironmentInitiator] (JPA Startup Thread) HHH000342: Could not obtain connection to query metadata: java.lang.NullPointerException: Cannot invoke "org.hibernate.engine.jdbc.spi.SqlExceptionHelper.convert(java.sql.SQLException, String)" because the return value of "org.hibernate.resource.transaction.backend.jta.internal.JtaIsolationDelegate.sqlExceptionHelper()" is null
2024-02-01 11:43:24,611 ERROR [org.keycloak.quarkus.runtime.cli.ExecutionExceptionHandler] (main) ERROR: Failed to obtain JDBC connection
2024-02-01 11:43:24,611 ERROR [org.keycloak.quarkus.runtime.cli.ExecutionExceptionHandler] (main) ERROR: Acquisition timeout while waiting for new connection

So that’s…progress…?