How to manage localization via UI and Theme Message Bundles?

As the description states I am trying to find out how you can manage (import / export) custom message bundles from the “Internationalization” tab while also maintaining these inside an importable / exportable message_{lang}.properties file that can be checked into Git.

I understand that message bundles that are built into the existing Keycloak Themes and that people can add new messages in their own custom themes by providing their own properties files. Obviously having custom files in a custom theme satisfies the need to import / export and check into Git parts but what about the UI internationalization tab?

The use case is having non-developers manage content on the UI while also being able to import developer custom properties. And being able to back up all of this in Git.

Thank you ahead of time!

Bump :slight_smile:

Folks have any ideas? Is there an endpoint to get/post these message bundles perhaps?

I wrote a heavyweight solution for handling this in our implementation; might give you some ideas if I share.

We have a custom theme that extends FreeMarkerLoginFormsProvider, and we inject our labels into the messageBundles Properties object in the createCommonAttributes method.

We store our labels externally in a microservice and use REST to manage them as well as to pull them into Keycloak. (Our labels are used across several applications, not just Keycloak)

You might get around this with a custom page; if you create a RealmResourceProvider and make a grid page. There could also be a different way to interact with the build in message bundles this way.

Again, this is heavy-handed for what you’re asking for but it might be a workaround - sorry I’m not more familiar with Keycloak’s built-in localization management.

1 Like

@ben.overcash thanks so much for the suggestion!