NullPointerException when trying app-profile-jee-vanilla

I installed WildFly and Keycloak according to the docs. I also succesfully ran the WildFly adapter in WildFly’s root directory. Then I cloned keycloak-quickstarts and ran mvn clean wildfly:deploy in app-profile-jee-vanilla to test my installation.

However, when opening localhost:8080/vanilla, I get the following error:

java.lang.NullPointerException
	at org.keycloak.adapters.OAuthRequestAuthenticator.getRedirectUri(OAuthRequestAuthenticator.java:175)
	at org.keycloak.adapters.OAuthRequestAuthenticator.loginRedirect(OAuthRequestAuthenticator.java:213)
	at org.keycloak.adapters.OAuthRequestAuthenticator.authenticate(OAuthRequestAuthenticator.java:275)
	at org.keycloak.adapters.RequestAuthenticator.authenticate(RequestAuthenticator.java:138)
	at org.keycloak.adapters.elytron.ElytronRequestAuthenticator.authenticate(ElytronRequestAuthenticator.java:44)
	at org.keycloak.adapters.elytron.KeycloakHttpServerAuthenticationMechanism.evaluateRequest(KeycloakHttpServerAuthenticationMechanism.java:92)
	at org.wildfly.security.http.util.SetMechanismInformationMechanismFactory$1.evaluateRequest(SetMechanismInformationMechanismFactory.java:119)
	at org.wildfly.security.auth.server.SecurityIdentityServerMechanismFactory$1.evaluateRequest(SecurityIdentityServerMechanismFactory.java:85)
	at org.wildfly.security.http.HttpAuthenticator$AuthenticationExchange.authenticate(HttpAuthenticator.java:263)
	at org.wildfly.security.http.HttpAuthenticator$AuthenticationExchange.access$800(HttpAuthenticator.java:242)
	at org.wildfly.security.http.HttpAuthenticator.authenticate(HttpAuthenticator.java:97)
	at org.wildfly.elytron.web.undertow.server.SecurityContextImpl.authenticate(SecurityContextImpl.java:96)
	at org.wildfly.elytron.web.undertow.server.servlet.ServletSecurityContextImpl.authenticate(ServletSecurityContextImpl.java:115)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.handleRequest(ServletAuthenticationCallHandler.java:55)
	at io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)
	at io.undertow.security.handlers.AuthenticationConstraintHandler.handleRequest(AuthenticationConstraintHandler.java:53)
	at io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractConfidentialityHandler.handleRequest(AbstractConfidentialityHandler.java:46)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.handleRequest(ServletConfidentialityConstraintHandler.java:64)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.security.ServletSecurityConstraintHandler.handleRequest(ServletSecurityConstraintHandler.java:59)
	at io.undertow.security.handlers.AbstractSecurityContextAssociationHandler.handleRequest(AbstractSecurityContextAssociationHandler.java:43)
	at org.wildfly.elytron.web.undertow.server.servlet.CleanUpHandler.handleRequest(CleanUpHandler.java:38)
	at io.undertow.server.handlers.PredicateHandler.handleRequest(PredicateHandler.java:43)
	at org.wildfly.extension.undertow.security.jacc.JACCContextIdHandler.handleRequest(JACCContextIdHandler.java:61)
	at org.wildfly.extension.undertow.deployment.GlobalRequestControllerHandler.handleRequest(GlobalRequestControllerHandler.java:68)
	at org.keycloak.adapters.elytron.KeycloakServletExtension.lambda$null$0(KeycloakServletExtension.java:39)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.handleFirstRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:269)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.access$100(ServletInitialHandler.java:78)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$2.call(ServletInitialHandler.java:133)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$2.call(ServletInitialHandler.java:130)
	at io.undertow.servlet.core.ServletRequestContextThreadSetupAction$1.call(ServletRequestContextThreadSetupAction.java:48)
	at io.undertow.servlet.core.ContextClassLoaderSetupAction$1.call(ContextClassLoaderSetupAction.java:43)
	at org.wildfly.extension.undertow.deployment.UndertowDeploymentInfoService$UndertowThreadSetupAction.lambda$create$0(UndertowDeploymentInfoService.java:1541)
	at org.wildfly.extension.undertow.deployment.UndertowDeploymentInfoService$UndertowThreadSetupAction.lambda$create$0(UndertowDeploymentInfoService.java:1541)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.dispatchRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:249)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler.access$000(ServletInitialHandler.java:78)
	at io.undertow.servlet.handlers.ServletInitialHandler$1.handleRequest(ServletInitialHandler.java:99)
	at io.undertow.server.Connectors.executeRootHandler(Connectors.java:376)
	at io.undertow.server.HttpServerExchange$1.run(HttpServerExchange.java:830)
	at org.jboss.threads.ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.run(ContextClassLoaderSavingRunnable.java:35)
	at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor.safeRun(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1982)
	at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.doRunTask(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1486)
	at org.jboss.threads.EnhancedQueueExecutor$ThreadBody.run(EnhancedQueueExecutor.java:1348)
	at java.lang.Thread.run(Thread.java:748)

What is going on, here? I also tried to secure a Spring Boot application and managed to get redirected after opening a secured page, but that resulted in the same error.

Did you complete all steps in the wiki? Especially the #configure-client-adapter-subsystem part.

You’re correct, how could I have missed that? After applying the described configuration, the example application seems to work correctly. However, that README states:

Unlike most other quickstarts for this quickstart you should first deploy the application so you can see that it’s secured with basic authentication. Afterwards you will configure the client adapter subsystem to secure the application and re-deploy the application to see the application is now secured with Keycloak without having to do any changes to the application itself.

So, if I’m not mistaken, the application should also work without security at all. I wonder why it tried to connect to (a not-properly configured) Keycloak instance.

If you want you can create a Jira issue about this if it doesn’t exist already because it seems there are a few issues out there about the docs. Too few hands I suppose.
Glad it works.

Thanks for the directions, perhaps I’ll do so, after retrying everything from a clean install and looking into it further, myself.