Share sessions between Keycloak 15 and Keycloak 18

Hello,

We are working on the migration of our cluster composed by Keycloak 15 instances to a new cluster based on Keycloak 18 instances. Ideally we should not to lose the users sessions during the migration and for that we tried to use several solutions but none worked.
So my question is : did anyone try to do that? And if yes did you successfuly to do this migration without losing user sessions?

Thanks a lot for you responses,
Ulrich

Not sure if that would help you, but maybe you can do a version by version migration, introducing the new version instances into the infinispan cluster.

I got into problems with the distributed cache when upgrading from 15 to 16, though. You should test that.

1 Like

Please consider that zero-downtime upgrades are currently not (yet) supported. Starting a new major version on an existing database may modify the database in a not downwards compatible way, so your lower version may run into errors. This could yield in an undefined system state, so that none of your instances work (been there, done that).

2 Likes

Yes this is my fear. I will give a try to search a (magic) solution but I believe you.

Anyway, I will send some feedback about this soon.

Thank a lot all.